Welcome to Westport Community Band
Hey Band - Have heard great things about the Levitt Pavilion concert! So sorry to have had to miss it.
Hats off to those who did so much to make it a successful event:
If I left anyone off the list, the error is mine - lmk and I'll update.
Next up: We're working on getting things lined up for the Fall!.Watch your email for updates and for our Annual Meeting Report (due to COVID, we'll just share EOY info and plans--and you can get back to us with any comments/questions.)Best, Marcia
Thanks to all who marched today and helped to make the Westport Memorial Day Parade a success! And special thanks to:
Ian - for his musical leadership
Susan - for stepping in to coordinate music and more
Lisa B and Corky - for making everyone look sharp
Geoff - for carting instruments and equipment
So great that the weather cleared in time! Heard you all sounded awesome. Wish I could've been there...Best to all, Marcia
Master Class Recordings
For those who have missed these - or want to view them again - below find links to prior Master Classes. Enjoy!
Carolyn Barber: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpSLCE-JTOA
Milt Allen: https://youtu.be/_h0qWzcOfkc
Sam Hazo: https://youtu.be/DacF4Nn8GOU
Mark Camphouse: https://youtu.be/wCUSaPUaJ5I
Jerry Rife: https://youtu.be/KDoVMkok64I
Anne McGinty: https://youtu.be/NxYoKRy7UYA
Giving Day was a tremendous success - and we want to thank each and every one of you, whether you gave a little, a lot, or simply endured the onslaught of emails.There's still uncertainty about when and where we'll be able to reconvene, but two things are sure -
1) We're looking forward to it (oh, are we ever)!
2) We're more financially secure in approaching that date today than we were two days ago.
Hang in there, be well, and don't forget to practice!
I want to take a moment today to say thank you... not only for a wonderful gift of appreciation (I received a very generous gift card yesterday from the members of the band) but also for allowing me to maintain a connection to a feeling of cultural relevance. The opportunity to bring icons in the world of music to your living rooms during our "Master Class Mondays" has been a balm to the open wound of musical stagnation. The sword has two edges however, as the joy of listening to and discussing some of the compositional gems that we have experienced also reminds us of the very inexplicable experience of not being able to be together... I am hopeful that this bi-weekly band aid will prove to be only a void filler though and that as soon as practical (and possible) we will find ourselves back together, making the exploration and joy of creating music come alive while sitting side by side in a socially un-distanced way!!
Thank you again for being who you are and for allowing me the opportunity to redefine who I am, week to week...
Till we meet again,
PS: Please place March 8th on your calendars! Composer Sam Hazo will be spending an hour with us that evening to share his compositional insight and musical artistry. I can't wait for you to meet him and hear his story! Please feel free to share the Zoom link when you receive it with anyone that you think would enjoy the hour!!!!
Giving Day starts Thursday, February 25th at midnight and runs for 24 hours.
Please consider giving on Giving Day.
Give a little, give a lot - whatever you're comfortable with in these trying times.
Thank you for supporting the arts.
Westport Community Band
Since we will not have rehearsals for the rest of the year, dues are suspended for the fall semester. Additionally, all Board members have agreed to stay on for the 2020-2021 season.
if anyone is interested in producing a virtual music video for the WCB, please send us an email!
Marcia & Emily
LETTER FROM MARCIA
All Band Members
All Band Rehearsal are
paused until further notice
7:30 pm - 9:30 pm
Bedford Middle School
88 North Avenue, Westport.
LISTEN TO OUR BAND!!!
New Music Videos added from our
"Play with the Community Band"
Please click on the menu at the top
right for further information.
~Updated July 27, 2021
WESTPORT COMMUNITY BAND CONTACT
email address -
Westport Community Band is a
Hi Band -
Hope you all are well and staying healthy! See below for WCB news - please read it all:
1. Regretfully due to the pandemic, there will be no rehearsals or gigs for the fall semester. We will continue to meet through our Zoom Masterclass series and will notify you before each session. The next class will be on Monday, September 21st, 7:30 PM. Please hold the date and watch your email for an invite. More details to follow!
2. Since we will not have rehearsals for the rest of the year, dues are suspended for the fall semester. Additionally, all Board members have agreed to stay on for the 2020-2021 season.
3. Music: Please return your WCB music and folder by September 21st. You may drop off your music at any of the below addresses, or instead mail directly to Sal. If you choose to drop off your music in person, please practice socially distant guidelines (masks/distance) and we do ask that you text before you visit to confirm timing.
PLEASE check your email for where to return your music, either by mail or in-person.
4. Lastly, if anyone is interested in producing a virtual music video for the WCB, please send us an email!
Marcia & Emily
Tribute to Dale Beatty
Founder of Purple Heart Homes
Video by William Elias